You may have tried salads in tortilla bowls in restaurants and were wondering if it is possible to make some at home.
The answer is yes! And homemade tortilla bowls for taco salad are easy, fun and inexpensive to make.
There are a few ways tortilla bowls can be made. You can fill them with the taco salad or some other ingredients. If you make mini size cups, they will be perfect appetizers.
A Few Methods You Can Use to Cook Tortilla Bowls
• Forming tortillas in a bowl that is oven-proof
Make sure you cover the bowl with some cooking spray, gently press the tortilla into the bowl, and then bake.
• Use unique tortilla shell molds.
These molds do not require any butter or oil. They are non-stick and are quite easy to use, and tortillas of any size can be cooked in them.
• Forming your tortillas out of a bowl that's oven-proof or even using canning jars.
If you don’t have specialized equipment for preparing tortillas, you can use what you have at home – simple glass bowls or jars. Ensure they are all oven-proof.
• Use regular muffin tins for small sized tortillas
For tortillas to fit into a tin divide each tortilla into four pieces.
Some Helpful Tips for Making Tortilla Bowls at Home
• Some flour tortillas (6-10 inches in diameter: 10" recommended for salad, 6" recommended for appetizers, 8" recommended for meal-size taco bowls)
• Vegetable oil spray
- 1Set oven rack to middle position. If you need to use two trays, place them to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2If your tortillas do not turn out as soft as you want them to, use the microwave to soften them.
- 3Spray tortillas with nonstick baking spray. Do this generously, but try to do it over a newspaper or even a sink to make sure the spray doesn’t get all over your kitchen.
- 4Place tortillas into bowl shapes using one of the methods described above.
- 5Use aluminum foil to form large balls. Set these balls inside each tortilla shell.
- 6Bake them till such a point they turn crispy and of golden-brown color. This will take you about 15 – 20 minutes. If you use two racks, rotate them halfway through baking.
- 7After cooking let your tortillas cool in bowls for 3 minutes and after that, carefully transfer them to a cooling rack. Take aluminum foil out of the bowls and remove tortilla shells from the molds.
- 8You can serve tortilla bowls immediately. If you need to store them use an airtight bag or plastic container.
What Can be Placed Inside Tortilla Bowls
Next time you will be planning a party make sure you impress your friends with this delicious dish.
This would be the treat of the night, and your friends will storm you with a question about how to make tortilla bowls.